Colorado State University, Pueblo; Fall 2011
Math 121 — College Algebra, Section 12
Here is a link back to the course
In the following all sections and page numbers refer to the required
course textbook, College Algebra Essentials, 9th Edition, by Michael
This schedule is subject to change, but should be accurate at any
moment for at least a week into the future.
- M: Mostly bureaucracy and introductions.
- T: §1.1: Linear Equations
- W: §1.2: Quadratic Equations
- F: §§1.2&1.3: Complex Numbers; Quadratic
Equations in the Complex Number System
Quiz 1 today.
[NOTE: this is the last day to add
- M: §§1.3&1.4: Radical Equations; Equations
Quadratic in Form; Factorable Equations
- T: §1.4
- W: §1.5: Solving Inequalities
- F: §1.6: Equations and Inequalities Involving
Quiz 2 today.
- M: §1.7: Problem Solving —
[NOTE: this is the last day to
drop classes without a grade being recorded.]
- T: §1.7: Interest, Mixture, Uniform Motion, Constant
Rate Job Applications
- W: §2.1: The Distance and Midpoint Formulas
- F: §2.2: Graphs of Equations in Two Variables;
Quiz 3 today.
- M: §2.3: Lines
- T: §2.4: Circles
- W: Review for Test I.
- F: Test I today, on Chapter 1 and §§2.1–2.4
- M: §2.5: Variation
- T: §2.5
- W: §3.1: Functions
- F: §3.1
Quiz 4 today.
- M: §3.2: The Graph of a Function
- T: §§3.2&3.3: Properties of Functions
- W: §3.3
- F: §3.4: Library of Functions; Piecewise-defined
Quiz 5 today.
- M: §3.5: Graphing Techniques; Transformations
- T: §3.5
- W: §3.6: Mathematical Models; Building Functions
- F: §4.1: Linear Functions and Their Properties
Quiz 6 today.
- M: §4.3: Quadratic Functions and Their Properties
- T: §§4.3&4.4: Build Quadratic Models from
Verbal Descriptions and from Data
- W: Review for Test II.
- F: Test II today, on §2.5, Chapter 3, and
§§4.1, 4.3, & 4.4.
- M: §4.4
- T: §4.5: Inequalities Involving Quadratic Functions
- W: §5.1: Polynomial Functions and Models
- F: §5.1
Quiz 7 today.
[NOTE: this is the last day
to withdraw (with a W) from classes.]
- M: §5.5: The Real Zeros of a Polynomial Function
- T: §5.5
- W: §5.6: Complex Zeros; Fundamental Theorem of Algebra
- F: §5.2: Properties of Rational Functions
Quiz 8 today.
- M: §5.3: The Graph of a Rational Function
- T: §5.3
- W: §5.4: Polynomial and Rational Inequalities
- F: §6.1: Composite Functions
Quiz 9 today.
- M: §6.2: One-to-One Functions; Inverse Functions
- T: §6.3: Exponential Functions
- W: Review for Test III.
- F: Test III today, on Chapters 4 and 5.
- M: §§6.3&6.4: Logarithmic Functions
- T: §6.4
- W: §6.5: Properties of Logarithms
- F: §6.6: Logarithmic and Exponential Equations
Quiz 10 today.
- Thanksgiving Break!
No classes, of course.
- M: §6.6
- T: §6.7: Compound Interest
- W: §6.8: Exponential Growth and Decay Models; Newton's
Law; Logistic Growth and Decay Models
- F: Review for Final Exam.
- Exam week, no classes.
- Our FINAL EXAM is scheduled for Tuesday, December 6th,
from 3:30-5:50pm in a room to be announced. [NOTE: this is not
the final exam period written in the catalog corresponding to our class
meeting times.] Bring your calculator, if you want it —
however, you may not use a "symbolic calculator", nor your textbook, nor